Friday, November 30, 2012

032: Fat Friday, You Won't Believe it.

I made it the whole month without consciously eating sweets that involved High Fructose Corn Syrup or refined sugar. WOW. Can't believe it.

I usually participate in "No ---- November" with my own insertion, because Lord knows you won't catch me dead doing "No Shave November!" In past years it has been "No Soda November," but considering I haven't downed a Cherry Coke or Dr. Pepper in MONTHS (maybe a year?), that wasn't going to fly this year. I tried to get hubs to do "No Fried November" with me, but he wasn't having it. Didn't want to commit. I knew I had to up my game.

"All right," I said. I swallowed the lump in my throat, "I'll do 'No Sugar November' if you will do 'No Fried November.'"

"You won't do that."

... There are few things that can get a strong willed, slightly stubborn, Southern girl riled up. Being told she can't accomplish something is one of them.

So. I did it. Yeahhhhhh.

Didn't realize until later that I had doomed myself into a dessert-less Thanksgiving. Or so I thought.

Now, I'm going to tell you about this recipe I found. You won't believe me that it's the best thing you have ever put in your mouth until ... well ... you make some for yourself and put them in your mouth.





Yes. NO flour. NO refined sugar. And this will blow you off your feet. I made them for Thanksgiving this year (since I decided like a crazy person to make this "No Refined Sugar/HFCS November") and they were the first dessert gone. Gone before the pumpkin pies. Before the cookies. Before the Scotch-o-rinos. GONE. I, miraculously, snagged the last two little bites.

I will admit, I overbaked them the first time. (Overbaked is totally a word.) I went with the lower end of the recommended time and they came out looking burned. Tasted great, but very dark in color. This time, I got smart and cut off 5 minutes. They're a little underdone, but ooooooohhhh man. If you're a fan of gooey chewy baked goods, then cut some of the baking time off. WHEW. So good.

All right. Little man is awake now and we've got some serious play time on the schedule for the rest of the day. Maybe even a walk with Daddy, if he gets home early.

Haha. Right. Like we have a schedule.

blessings, sgym

No comments:

Post a Comment